Wednesday, February 4, 2009

20090203 Drought put north China on red alert

Henan, China's major grain producer, issued a red alert for drought Thursday. The provincial meteorological bureau said the drought is the worst since 1951. The drought have affected about 63 percent of the province's 78.9 million mu (5.26 million hectares) of wheat.

But Henan Province is not the only victim in thirsty northern China.

Provinces such as Shaanxi, Shandong, Hebei and Jiangsu are also reeling from droughts.

"The water in my well is very deep today,"
"The wheat grass gets so dry that it catches fire! I've never seen this in my
whole life,"
"Although we were informed that the government's subsidies will be soon handed
out to households, I decided not to merely rely on the government, and I am now
irrigating the lands for four hours a day at my own expense."
"Though we irrigate the lands now, the production will surely see a big drop.
said 50-year-old Wei Liuding in Baisha village, Muzhong County of North China's
Henan Province.
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment